Archive for the 'Worship Spaces' Category

17
Sep
16

The Dalles, Oregon

The Dalles, near the end of the Oregon Trail, is an old town by western standards and full of historical buildings.

These two: the old City Hall (Clock Tower Building) and St. Peters Catholic Church are vintage 1890’s.

13
Jun
15

St. Pauls Cathedral, Yakima, WA

St. Paul’s Cathedral, located in Yakima, Washington, United States, is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Yakima. Architectural style: Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. 

 On February 8, 1926, excavation for parish church began on the corner of south 12th Avenue and north Chestnut Street. Designed in the Spanish mission style, the layout plan for the church was in the form of a cross with a 125-foot-tower topped by a glazed tile dome and bronze cross. The red tile roof fell in line with the mission-styled architecture and the altar would be under an apse, a dome, with two side altars called transepts.
 
    On Easter Sunday, April 18, 1927, Fr Armstrong said a Solemn Mass in St Paul’s permanent home.  It would be more that twenty-five years before the curch would be fully completed.
 
    On July 18, 1951, Pope Pius XII created the new diocese of Yakima, and named St Paul as the Cathedral Church. The parish was previously part of the Diocese of Seattle. On October 11, 1951, Bishop Joseph Patrick Dougherty was named first bishop of Yakima.
 
    During the April of 1954, the seating capacity of the cathedral was increased from 600 to 800. Four windows, were removed for new confessionals. A terazzo floor was laid  and new oak pews were installed.
07
Apr
14

Oysterville, WA circa 1859

A very cute, compact, little town on the Long Beach Peninsula in SW Washington state. Founded a long time ago ( by western state standards) the post office has been open since  1858, forty years + before Washington statehood.

For generations before the pioneer settlers arrived, Chinook Indians gathered oysters in this part of Willapa Bay and camped in the area that is now Oysterville. They called it “tsako-te-hahsh-eetl” which, like many Indian words, had two meanings: “place of the red-topped grass” and “home of the yellowhammer.” (Yellowhammer is the local name for the red-shafted flicker, a woodpecker common to this region.)

The first white settlers here were Robert Hamilton Espy and Isaac Alonzo Clark. They had agreed on a rendezvous with Chief Nahcati who had told Espy of nearby tide lands covered with oysters. On April 20, 1854, as they paddled north from the head of the bay, they became engulfed by a heavy fog. Nahcati, having spotted them before the fog rolled in, guided them ashore by rhythmically pounding on a hollow log. The Indian Chief had not exaggerated; reef upon reef of tiny native oysters grew on the shallow bay bottom. Espy and Clark marketed the bivalves in gold-rich, oyster-hungry San Francisco. A peach basket filled with oysters brought a dollar in gold on delivery to a schooner anchored on the tide flats in front of town. That same basket brought $10 on arrival in San Francisco, and epicures in oyster bars and seafood restaurants there would pay a silver dollar for one oyster – an oyster smaller than the dollar!

In no time, Oysterville became a rowdy, lusty boomtown. By 1855 its population and importance were such that it became the seat of Pacific County, Washington Territory. The town had many firsts – a school, college, newspaper, and finally, in 1872, a church – First Methodist. It is said that there were those in Oysterville who lived in “sin” and those who lived to be “saved” – about an even division. When the church was dedicated, the hard drinkers abandoned the saloons, marched in a body to the church, put their gold pieces in the collection plate, and returned to what they considered more stimulating than praying – drinking.
Late in the 1880s fate took a hand: the long awaited railroad line ended at Nahcotta, an isolating four miles away; the native oysters became scarce and, without the possibility of a local livelihood, residents moved out en masse; finally, in 1893, the courthouse records were stolen by South Bend “raiders.” Oysterville gradually became a sleepy little village where “time stood still.”

02
Nov
11

St. Marks Cathedral, Seattle

A giant of a building… St. Marks was hosting an art show on icons.

17
May
11

Casavant Organ Opus 3888

Easter 2011:

33 stops – 36 ranks

Mechanical key action

Electric drawstop action

The Brustwerk is transposable a semi-tone lower or higher.

17
May
11

Pope John Paul II, statue, Seattle

On April 2, 2005 at 9:37 p.m. Pope John Paul II died. In April of 2009 his beloved successor, Pope Benedict XVI, told Pilgrims gathered in Rome “With you, I pray for the gift of beatification”.  That prayer has been answered.  Friday, January 14, 2011 the Holy See released the “Decree for the Beatification of the Servant of God John Paul II.”

This new (May 2011) statue at St, Margaret’s in Seattle was built from stainless steel, welded and hammered by Polish artist Wiktor Szostalo. It was photographed here after dark with about 45 exposures of painted light from hand held spot lights.

21
Apr
11

St. James Vancouver, WA

160 Plus years old… newly restored….

Here is a link to the Parish website where there is a “in progress” slideshow.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.




Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 180 other followers

April 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930